Tuesday, 24 January 2012

As and Obsessions.

One of the characteristics for Asperger’s syndrome is having “obsessions” mine documented in the medical notes from when I was 15 was Ant and Dec, the English TV presenters and quilting. However at what point does being a Fan become having an obsession?  Or at what point does having a hobby become an obsession?  I have made 2 quilts in my life, one for charity as part of my GCSE textiles and a knitted one as I wanted to learn to knit, so how is this obsession?



However there were certain aspects of the Ant and Dec Fanness that made it into an obsession.  I had to record everything, every TV show or radio show they were on I had to record it! I also collected article clippings from newspapers and magazines about them, however big or small.  So yes maybe the recording part of it could have been classed as an obsession! However things have moved on since then.

I’m a big john barrowman fan,  as a spin off from being a doctor who fan, however not more so than any other Doc Who / John Barrowman fan out there.  I go and see him once in every show he is in but not more than that, I go to Panto every year, see his concerts and shows, never seen him in a TV studio, never been to a signing or a convention and never met him. However looking around in the JB fan world there are people who go to every night of the tour/ Panto  and go to every book signing and every TV show recording, surely they would be classed as ‘more obsessed’ than myself, or as they have not been diagnosed as Autistic would they  just been seen as a Massive fan. And that’s my point really If the diagnosis wasn’t there, would my Interest in any subject still be classed as an obsession or what being a fan be seen as normal?

According to the author of Asperger's Syndrome and Adolescence: Practical Solutions for School Success, Brenda Myles, there is two ways of defining interests with Asperger’s syndrome these are ‘primary’ and ‘secondary’ interests.  A primary obsession monopolizes conversation and daily activities, the person is consumed by thoughts of the subject matter and unable to fully focus or take interest in other subjects or activities.  Secondary interests are however interests that are less interests, they can be managed more and can ‘fit in’ with daily activities and live.


Reading around online I cant seem to find many peoples experiences with ‘obsessions’ in adult life,  however what can be noted from ‘famous people’ with the condition is that supposed obsessions can be used for advantages in work by turning their passion into what they do for a living,  I actually know someone obsessed with door knobs who now works in a factory making them.

What are you experiences with obsessions in people with Asperger’s syndrome? Either in adults or children would love to hear from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment