Sunday, 12 February 2012

D = asperger and depression


D is for?

I’ve been toying with several idea of what D could be for, depression, death, Disney. Dreams and dyspraxia so perhaps I’ll come to the other four at a later time. But for now, I’m going to focus on depression in relation to Asperger syndrome.

Reading several other blogs and advice forums over the last few week there seems to be a common relation between as / Autism and depression. I myself sometimes have periods of becoming 'depressed', usually when I’ve been on my own for a long period of time and during these periods I 'skim' and don’t eat and become very agitated usually only resolved by going to bed and sleeping it off.  The world of health defines depression as
Depression is a common mental disorder that presents with depressed mood, loss of interest or pleasure, feelings of guilt or low self-worth, disturbed sleep or appetite, low energy, and poor concentration.



But why is depression and asperses syndrome so common? Research has shown that around 1 in 10 people with AS also suffer with associated depression. This can be for a numerous of reasons, by the nature of the condition can lead to social isolation as previously explored in the alphabet. They can be badly bullied. it is also noted that people with autism have difficulty in recognising emotions, both in other people and also in what they are experiencing themselves, we can over analysis something causing extreme stress and upset, get angry or confused at situations or have meltdowns which can lead to depression. you can also get guilty over things which can lead to depression such as when things have gone wrong and you’ve realised you’ve made a mistake or a misunderstanding has occurred, terrible guilt can occur including when the thing that’s happened is only minor or wasn’t your own fault. Disruptions in daily routine can cause agitation and unrest. Stress, panic attacks and meltdowns can also add to the emotions and event leading up to depression occurring. Fatigue and tiredness is also attributed to depression and can cause mixed emotions which can be hard for a person with as to interpret.


Overall because aspies can’t nesacarily interpret emotions fully; coupled with social and communication difficulties, depression can occur. In my personal knowledge gained through nursing I would question whether my bad mood contribute to depression or are simply a bad mood or even what’s commonly known as a 'meltdown' which I otherwise don’t have. I think that over the years I’ve become more aware of getting into this emotional state and learnt ways in which I can prevent it from progressing further, such as watching fave TV shows, doing some cross stitch or even skimming can prevent my mood getting worst. Also removing myself from the thing that’s caused the upset or finding a way to work around it can also prevent the progress. However this is not always successful and I would properly say I get 'depressed' about once a month or so

4 comments:

  1. We couldn't have read this at a better time. Our 9yr old AS daughter seems to get down quite a lot and tells us she feels lonely as an only child.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thankyou for your comment, i also replyed on twitter! hope the blog has been of some help to you and your family! JSx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blog is amazing and a source of such vast info.......so helpful. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for writing this. Timely for me, as I am sliding into depression at the moment. I think my main trigger is exhaustion - the extremely hard work to just stay connected to people and trying to stay on top of things, it can be too much.

    ReplyDelete