Monday, 12 March 2012

I Imagination and asperger


I = imagination.

Lack of imagination is one of the traits listed in classification of Asperger’s syndrome. However vivid imagination is something that I have always had, from extreme vivid dreams, day dreams and role playing, I have always had a good imagination. Looking around at famous people with the condition [with Google as a friend] its evident that imagination and creativity is paramount in the condition. .  So therefore lack of imagination can be a misconception.
So where could this misconception come from? Well perhaps its from being obsessive with ne subject matter or the repetitive actions? Or perhaps its simply that we don’t ‘play’ or express our self’s in the way nuero-typical people do.   

There is several well known artists [as explored on in letter C] who are very creative and without imagination in some form their works may not of been possible. However as I’ve been thinking about  writing this post over the last few weeks I’ve began to wonder if Imagination in Asperger’s, although it exists if perhaps different or at least processed different in mind to what a neuro-typical classes as imagination.

No one I know actually knows this but I can sometimes live my life in a day dream as such, in which I mean I continuously run made up stories in my head, they always have some relation to the situation I am in and only happen when I have nothing else to concentrate on, for example, .  And I also have to think about going to sleep as in imagine a situation that I need to sleep in in order to go asleep.   I also day dream about things ive seen on tv, such as if I’ve been watching torchwood I’ll make up further story’s in my mind but think about them as if they were really happening.   At one point I used to turn these into fan fiction and post them online, I still sometimes write them up but without the publishing bit… although I do think that perhaps I should write a book, something to put on the bucket list I suppose.

Recently I got talking to a nurse in work who’s daughter has AS and they were explaining how they had trouble understanding the difference between make believe and reality and can recount events that have completely not happened but is able to explain the events in great details, something which is depicted in several blogs and posts online, the persons with AS ability to  re-account events in great detail that are in reality a figment of imagination, however they always have some connection to the interests of the person or something connected to that interest. For explain explaining what has happened on holiday and explaining what the plain journey was like when in fact they had gone by car.

But is there a problem with this? Should it be discouraged, or encouraged?  Well in most forms of imagination should be encouraged and can lead to achieving great positive things and amazing artworks or breakthroughs in technology. But on the other had mixing up reality and non-reality can be disastrous especially if it leads to affecting others in a negative way, however good or well meaning the intentions of the person are.  

I found this explanation from this website on why people with AS may have difficulties in separating reality from none reality “we are often left wondering if difficulties walking that line between subjective reality (what's in your head) versus objective reality (what's really happening outside of your skin) is a function of chronic alienation from the brutality of the real world” not sure how much I agree with this but it is an interesting view on why this sometimes happens!

No comments:

Post a Comment