Sunday, 11 March 2012

U = aspergers and self perception


U = Urban dictionary.

Since starting this blog I’ve found it interesting snooting around the web and seeing how other people see the condition in both ‘sufferers’ [or their relatives] and ‘none sufferers’.  And I came across this entry into urban dictionary.  And well it stirred up mixed emotions. Which I’ll discuss after the post, [ viewed 10/3/12 2300]



“Imagine a tiny pill, half the size of a tic-tac. This pill contains all of the symptoms of full-blown autism. Then crush that pill up and dissolve it into an Olympic swimming pool.

That is Asperger's syndrome.

Basically, some whiny teenage emo outcasts figured out that they kind of were autistic, but only just a teeny bit. Then they started making this bulls*t movement for other whiny ~unique~ teenagers to join them. So that they could all meet together on the Internet and have a giant f****** circlej**k about how ''UNIQUE'' and ''MISUNDERSTOOD'' they are. And got a few dips**t doctors to vouch for them …..
Oh, and before you press that little thumbs-down button, let it be known that I was formerly diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome; I meet all the criteria. But I also have a cousin my age who has very severe autism. Therefore, I don't believe it's right for me to go "waltzing" around like I'm so special and that I have REAL mental problems and that everyone should appreciate my speshulnessssssssss.”



So this post, other than leaving me offended by the bit that ive cut out s I don’t think I want to repeat it, has left me disappointed that someone with the condition can have such views of the condition.  Yes it is on the same spectrum as autism and all the conditions on this spectrum can affect different people in different ways, but to refer back to a previous post, called do I suffer, people with AS do have negative effects on their life’s and can be severely disabled.

But what has disappointed me more was that this showed up on the first page on google and someone newly diagnosed with the condition or just researching the condition could read this post and as a result it could have a negative effect on their lives and thoughts of the condition. That’s why I mainly try and keep positive about the condition, because yes its sucks at times, but being negative will never get you anywhere and a positive attitude can lead to positive outcomes.

No comments:

Post a Comment