Thursday, 26 April 2012

Jobs Part 2



Recently I posted a blog post on the negative aspects Asperger’s syndrome may affect my nursing practise, because I am a Nurse with Asperger’s syndrome. Entitled jobs [part 1]. So here is part 2, which is going to focus more on the positive aspects Asperger syndrome can have in the daily routine on the unit.  Continuing on the interview style approach.



What are your main advantages for this job?



Acute picture memory:- I can remember things very easily, ask me my patients obs and I can usually recount them exactly for the whole day. i can also spot immediately when something if out of place, what’s missing or what’s changed, I can tell if the patient looks different and normally recount everything, everyone has done to my patient in the course of the day in fine detail and also the same goes in an emergency situation.

Maths:- i can be very good at maths and do most of it in my head, usually check by calculator though as afraid of making errors, but normally right, also i find other nurses prefer to see you use a calculator and makes them trust the calculation more. But even so, I do 99% in my head very quickly.

Routines, i do certain things in certain ways, such as preparing iv's. i find by doing it this way is safer and also stick to the evidenced based best practise and therefore follow policy and procedures, no cutting corners in my bed space, everything is done properly and by following the rules. i also keep everything in set places, i.e., face mask is on top of vent, emergency drug chart above the obs trolley, i find with this method that in an emergency situation, if you’ve kept everything in a set place, then you will know exactly where it is when you want it.



Problem solving:- i can see a problem and quickly think of a solution. there’s a phrase in nursing a long of the line of you can fix anything with a little red tape. and to be honest that’s slightly true. any things breaks, we use red tape... well within reason. but i look at say a chest drain that’s set up wrong and instantly be able to spot what’s wrong with it.

Bluntness: - now I know this is not what people would normally class as a positive but a lot of time in intensive care things are happening and changing so quickly that there is not time for long winded conversations, you have to get to the point of what you’re saying quickly and concisely, so everyone knows what you are talking about! which is great! don’t need to make small talk!

………………………………………………..

So there you go, to some these at times may seem like negatives, and granted sometimes they are, but what I’m trying to explain is that anything can be used to your advantage and although Asperger syndrome does bring barriers to my working life, I have developed ways around these and im to overcome them as Nursing is what I have always dreamed of doing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment